Sunday 2 February 2020

The Still Small Voice 1980

I think the very first and most clear experiences I've ever had was when I was about 16.  I was babysitting for the O'Banions.  They were members of our church and as far as I could gauge, the richest, most beautiful people on the planet.  I was always happy to babysit so I could make a little cash, so I wanted to do such a good job, they would ALWAYS ask me to be their babysitter.

They had a little boy about 6-9 months old and a little girl about 2-3 years old.  I wanted to follow to the letter the directions they gave me.  I put their son to bed exactly as directed and everything was going fine.  Then I put the daughter to bed, but she started fretting and crying and that wasn't working so well.  I finally got her to bed but then little brother woke up.  I tried everything I knew to get him settled but he just cried and cried.  I took him downstairs to get him a bottle, which he refused.  I tried walking and singing softly to him but he cried on.  I was so worried the O'Banions would come home and see I was an inept babysitter and never have me back.  I remember holding that baby boy in my arms and kneeling down in their living room  asking the Lord  for help.  As I stood up, I heard clearly and distinctly in my left ear the words, "Put him to bed, he will be fine."  I turned my head to the left to see who it was who had spoken so clearly to me.  I HEARD it.  No one was there in that empty living room, I knew I had just heard the Spirit of the Lord speak to me.  I walked up those steps, put that poor screaming boy in his crib, turned off the light and closed the door.  I went down to the kitchen where the baby monitor was located and listened fearfully as he cried. What if the O[Banion's walked in and witnessed me doing nothing while their son was crying?  Within a minute, the cries settled and then silence as he fell asleep.  I was SO grateful for the answer to my worried prayer.  It has been a testimony to me that the Lord hears and answers our prayers, even if they are just simple problems.

No comments:

Post a Comment