Monday 14 December 2009

FF, RW,

We've used AFN (American Forces Network) or just local TV for all but the last year and a half of our lives. No TiVo, no DVR, no satelite--none of that big city stuff for our family; just "on" and "off".

HOWEVER, now that we are in Ah-mer-EE-ka, we are so luvin our Dish TV with DVR. We record things and pause the program if we need to visit the loo, then we get to FF through the commercials or RW if we missed a critical moment on iCarly. It's been a life altering experience.

So, on our way to school today, we were listening to the radio station that has been playing Christmas music 24/7 since Thanksgiving. When I turned it on, there was an EPIC tune playing that Hannah really liked. She asked me if I could RW it so we could start it at the beginning. I explained we were listening to the radio, not a CD, therefore I couldn't rewind. This was a concept that took a little time to grasp. She quizzed me on the veracity of my statement. I tried to explain that the radio station played music whether we listened or not. Tragically, I likened it to the TV, where shows continue to play even when we turn it off. Fatal comparison. I was grilled as to WHY on the TV we have command of the FF and RW and yet not on the radio. I had no answer. I'm pretty sure she thinks I'm lying...

2 comments:

  1. Ha ha ha ha ha.... I have had that SAME problem while in the car. We can RW tv, why not the radio?
    Difficult to explain!

    ReplyDelete
  2. COW! Why didn't you just rewind it?!

    Just kidding.

    Also, just realised that my children will never recognise the sound of a cassette tape being turned over (a la the beginning of MJ's Black or White) or the sound of a VCR rewinding at high speed. Sad stuff.

    ReplyDelete